Community Club News
You can now pay your dues online.
Click here to pay online.
New Officers and Board Member:
President: Dianne Hagmaier
Vice president: Bob Erler
Secretary: Janet Fortner
Treasurer: Dan Hagmaier
Board 3-year position: Leif Garrison
Chairman of the Board: Rich Crawford (1 yr remaining)
Board Member: Mike Callies (2 years remaining)
At the Annual Meeting the slate of officers and board member stood unopposed and was voted in by acclamation. The regularly scheduled general and board meeting held on January 25 was a marathon meeting as many new ideas for the club were voiced. As these ideas become more organized, there will be
articles in upcoming newsletters.
Read the new February Newsletter
Click on this link to read it. Back Issues are found here.
Valentine Dessert Social
February 13th at 7 PM
The Club will be having a fun social night enjoying the desserts that our great cooks provide.
Bring either chocolate or cherry or a combination to share and a card with the name of the dish so that those who enjoy can ask about the recipe.
About the Community Club
The Black Forest Community Club was chartered in 1929 as a social organization for families living in the Black Forest north of Colorado Springs. The club, which has 134 member families today, occupies a unique, community-built log building at the corner of Black Forest and Shoup Roads that is over 80 years old. The club has been the site of many events over the years including Black Rose Society concerts and many local clubs. The Community Club also sponsors Boy Scout Troop 70 and Cub Scout Pack 70.
The Black Forest Community Club is avilable for rentals for all occasions. If you are interested, please click here for more information.
History of the Black Forest Community Club
by Anna Mae Hawkins
"Keeper of the Forest" 1986
The Black Forest Community Club came into being in the mid 1920s.
About 30 families lived in about a 420 square mile area bounded
in the west by foothills, on the north by Douglas County line, on the
east by Elbert County, across the south by a line from Falcon to
Rattlesnake Hill, and then west to the foothills.
The people needed a place to hold meetings and social get-togethers.
The little log school house on Shoup Road, just west of Black Forest
Road, was not quite large enough. At that time, Black Forest Road
was known as Templeton Gap Road because it was the road into Colorado
Springs going through Templeton Gap northeast of Colorado Springs.
In 1924 the people decided to build a hall. Gertrude Burgess donated
the land for the building, and the people of the area donated trees
from their properties. Everyone pitched in to put up the building which
still stands near the corner of Black Forest and Shoup Roads. The men
cut the trees with axes and cross-cut saws and hauled them to the
building site. The women and children helped by peeling the bark from
the logs. It was a big project for so few families.
Click here to continue